All YouthBuild members receive a direct care worker certificate after completing 40 hours of both classroom and hands-on instruction as part of their vocational training. At this point, the direct care worker certificate is only offered to YouthBuild students.
Recently, United Community Services was approved by the Department of Education to offer a nurse aide training program. At the conclusion of this 6 week training, students are prepared to take the NNAAP Exam. Information sessions are held throughout the year for enrollment in one of three training classes. This course is offered free of charge to eligible applicants.
Careers in this field are growing and will continue to grow over the next decade. UCS is partnering with local agencies eager to hire graduates from our training program that creates a seamless pathway from training to employment.
Nurse Aide Training Requirements
What you need to know if you’re interested:
- Students must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED. The candidate must be able to understand basic concept skills in math, reading and writing in English.
- There are income eligibility guidelines. To be eligible, candidates must provide documentation (including paystubs or benefit letters) to show they are at 200% of Poverty or lower.
- A copy of the diploma, GED certificate or college transcript (unofficial is acceptable) is required for proof.
- Documents from outside the U.S. (foreign diploma and college/university documents) must be translated into English and must be accompanied by an evaluated transcript from a member agency of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. A list of member agencies can be found at naces.org/members.htm
- An entrance exam (TABE test) is required for all students. The entrance exam is a 75 question standardized basic skills test that determines if the candidate has the minimum skill level necessary in reading comprehension and math to successfully complete the program.
- Be a resident of Pennsylvania. If you are a Pennsylvania resident for less than two years you must obtain your FBI Clearance. Two forms of identification (non-expired photo id and social security card, birth certificate or green card, etc.).
- Criminal History Record Check (CHRI) will be accepted if date of receipt is under 10 months from the first day of the next available class. Must have the Commonwealth Seal (Pennsylvania State police with an eagle and shield) must be visible behind the information to be considered an official record.
- Candidates will need to complete a urine drug test two weeks prior to the first day of class cost is covered by UCS.
- Candidates with acceptable entrance exam results and Criminal History Record Check/FBI Background check will be provided the Medical Examination/Two Step Mantoux PPD test form to be completed by their physician and must be submitted before the first day of training.
To find out if you qualify for this opportunity, call to speak with Julia Goheen, Home Care Program Manager, at (484)755-5001 or call our main office number (610)374-3319.
For more information on the nurse aide training program.